Aquarium Illusions Inc. have put our ‘hands on’ experience to work in designing sump filtration that addresses to weaknesses of our competitors sumps. We offer both sump and refugium models
Our sumps come equipped with:
- The progressive filter media, ‘Matala’™. Matala offers 10X the surface area as the traditional Bio Balls do. It also is easy to clean and will not clog up like some filter media.
- Micron Filter Sock that removes small particulate matter down to a 200 micron level, providing crystal clear water. Sumps volumes up to 54 gal – come equipped with 4” Micron Filter Sock, 60 gal & up – come equipped with a 7” Micron Filter Sock.
- Durable reusable Foam Media.
Aquarium Illusions sumps are designed with optimum water flow, superior particulate filtration and maintenance ease.
Custom Designed Filtration is available upon request.
The Biological Sump
The Bio-Sump can be used for superior filtration in both Saltwater and Freshwater. The ‘Filter Sock’ entry point design allows for better water filtration and bubble management. The Bio-Sump is designed with a media barrier/bubble break. The Bio-Sump is available in both Submersible Pump and Inline Pump models (pumps are sold separately). The Bio-Sump comes equipped with a high quality Filter Sock, Matala™, andreusable foam media.
The Biological Refugium
The Aquarium Illusions Bio-Fuge offers the user a versatile refugium with attention given to biological, chemical and protein skimming all in one. The Bio-Fuge eliminates air bubbles, with it’s 3 bubble trap design The Skimmer is placed before the mud chamber, lessening the loss of refugium micro-organisms. The Bio-Fuge comes equipped with a high quality Filter Sock, Matala™, and reusable foam media. Aquarium Illusions Refugiums can be customized to meet your individual needs and accessory equipment.
The Matala® Advantage:
Aquarium Illusions Sumps and Refugiums come equipped with Matala®. It provides superior filtration in all Freshwater, Saltwater, and Pond applications.
Some of its many benefits are as follows:
- It acts as a substrate for biological filtering. Providing a home for good bacteria.
- It allows for good movement of highly oxgenated water throughout the entire media surface.
- It doesn’t plug up, keeping the bacteria aerobic.
- It has Interstitial Spaces where the healthy bacteria can ‘fill up’ in a safe and slimy bacterial matrix.
- It is easy to clean. It lets go of the dirt, but sustains the bacteria.
- One Square Foot of Matala® is equivalent to over 900 of your typical ball-type wet/dry filter media.
- Larval are not trapped within Matala®, but supply a ‘safe haven’ from predation.
- Making this media perfect for the aquarist interested in larval rearing.
- Matala® media is convenient to use. The sheets are easy to pull out and rinse or shake off.